Tuesday, February 9, 2010

welcome to lazy land

Last Sunday was a day out in the snow. I went with my two little ones to the mountains of Zaarour (1600 meters),40 minutes drive from Beirut. The snow was superb. The sky was of an amazing crispy blue. The people on the slopes were colourful, happy and laughing at their clumsiness. Some chose not to venture on the frightening ski adventure and sat happily sipping their hot cocoa and lingering on the white plastic chairs. Zaarour is not a fancy place. It is a place where you don't necessarily find the snobbish atmosphere of other great ski resorts in Lebanon. No pretentions.

So here we are running after the little ones, who had no idea that snow could be so cold, and decided to walk up the baby slope to see the view from afar. As i watched people around me more closely, i realised that many families had brought their housekeeper/nanny with them, which was a great sight for my idealistic me. How nice! Most of them had probably never encountered snow in their home country and that was a wonderful experience for them.

My happy face turned rapidly into a big question mark when i suddenly realised that their presence was not necessarily for their own happiness but an extension of their services. They were building snowmen with the kids. They were holding the babies. But most chocking of all they were walking up the slope carrying the ski sticks for dads and their sons who used the chair lift to get to the top. The girl was carrying the sticks and had to walk up the slope. I was chocked and sad to see how little we knew about human rights in this country.

Two days ago, a housekeeper killed the sister of her employee. As horrible as this act of violence is, I cannot but have a small doubt on the way this person has been treated during her employment.

When are we going to see these people (housekeepers) as Humans, who are here to make a living, and to make our life much easier, and not as slaves jumping to our smallest desires.

2 comments:

Khalad_k said...

I was in Lebanon just a few weeks ago and I have never seen people treated like this my my entire life! I was shocked at the way the Lebanese have been able to dehumanise them to such a level. I have seen many things but one thing that really shocked me was when I saw a young girl (around 10 years old) ordering a maid at a fast food place to get her food and follow her up stairs! I couldn't help but think what future do we have if a 10 year old has no respect for another human being because of their skin colour or nationality. Shame.

leelou said...

i agree khalad..what image are we building? and how are we supposed to change that?
People are getting more and more bossy, arrogant, rude...
i wish we could start opening peoples eyes to how inhuman they are becoming towards those who leave everything behind in order to help them...shame is the right word!