Monday, November 9, 2009

Less destructive & more protective

My own experience with saving the planet is a mixture of being aware of our destructive footprint, of wanting more green areas for my kids to breathe in, of turning off lights when leaving a room, of trying desperately to find a way to recycle batteries in Lebanon, and so on.

I truly want to be more “green”, more aware, less destructive, and more protective. But the paradox is everywhere, I drive a suv (my 6 year old asked me why we didn’t buy the same car as before, which was a wonderful orange Fiat Punto, to which I just blabbered that we needed a stronger car, with more space because in this country you really need it! )Duh… I throw a lot of packaging (i wish we could leave them behind at the supermarket). I use chlorine and fabric softner (a big NO NO in Europe). and so on...

So what is the moral of this little entry?

Taking care of the planet is a very difficult, tedious, long term project. We need to find micro solutions that normal people can understand, and put in action. We need to educate the new generation (in schools, home and via TV) slowly but on a regular basis. And we in Lebanon need to wake up and start working even if the mentality does not always support the idea and find it the least of their concern.

No comments: